Thursday, July 18, 2013

Is Thrifting Green? o.0

   I donate to, and spend a lot of time shopping at, the many second-hand and thrift stores here in Santa Cruz. This "habit" of mine started when I was in High School & first started buying my own clothes, and has not only continued into my adult life, but has become my main means of outfitting my family. Just recently, though, I've found myself wondering whether this habit of mine would be considered "green".

   Here's my take on it - Yes!


   "But why, Lydia? Nothing is getting reused/reduced/recycled, composted or turned into a Prius!"

   Well - the way I see it is - where would all of these things that we can't/won't/don't want to use anymore end up if we didn't donate them to thrift stores, give them to gently-used stores or try to sell them at consignment shops?
   My guess is that they would end up in our landfills. My kids grow out of clothes at an alarming rate and, although we recently had our third baby, I don't have the ability or space to store this clothing for 5 years, or so, until Tempest is big enough to wear them -- So I donate them!

   My thrift store of choice is The Abbot's Thrift in Felton. 



   As long as donation items are in reasonably good condition (and really, how big of a meany would one need to be to try and donate something that's trashed?!), they aren't picky about what types of items are donated (oh, and they positively love books!!).

   The other benefit to thrift store shopping, of course, is that it meshes very well with my increasingly-apparent-cheap-bone. Knowing that I can clothe my family on a shoe-string budget is a great feeling! Knowing that clothes my kids can't wear anymore will be worn and loved by other kids is also a great feeling! And knowing that these clothes aren't being thrown away to rot in a landfill is a pretty darn great feeling, too!


   So, in closing, not only is thrifting good for the environment, it gives you a chance to make the Abbot's Kitty smile.

Are you up to the challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment